George Gipp, nicknamed "The Gipper", was a college football player at the University of Notre Dame. Gipp was selected as Notre Dame's first All-American, and played several positions,— particularly halfback, quarterback, and punter.
The phrase "Win one for the Gipper" was later used as a political slogan by Ronald Reagan, who was often referred to as "The Gipper" due to playing the role of Gipp in a movie. A famous use of the phrase was at the 1988 Republican National Convention when Reagan charged his V.P. to “Win one for the Gipper.”
1. The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
2. Recession is when your neighbor loses his job. Depression is when you lose yours. And recovery is when Jimmy Carter loses his.
3. I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.
4. I have wondered at times what the Ten Commandments would have looked like if Moses had run them through the US Congress.
5. General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall.
6. Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
7. Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
8. We don't have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven't taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much.
9. If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth.
10. You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done.
11. It isn't so much that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so many things that aren't so.